The Puppet Labs Issue Tracker has Moved: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com
|Assignee:||Nick Fagerlund||% Done:|
Ticket tracking is now hosted in JIRA: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com
This issue is currently not available for export. If you are experiencing the issue described below, please file a new ticket in JIRA. Once a new ticket has been created, please add a link to it that points back to this Redmine ticket.
I set upon configuring a more scalable Puppet infrastructure.
http://www.puppetlabs.com/ –> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/ –> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/scaling.html –> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/passenger.html
I’m running 2.6.x, and it said “Please see ext/rack/README in the puppet source tree for instructions.” I took this to mean a redirect, as in “look there and stop reading this document.”
- Rack 1.0.0 is explicitly stated, but I’ve found that the current 1.2.1 Gem works
- It could be specified that “squigley.namespace.at” is what needs to change to the host’s FQDN
- [puppetmasterd] is suggested in puppet.conf, but manual runs warn that it’s deprecated in favor of [master]
- It directs users toward a manifest which fails on Ubuntu 10.04 hosts (Could not find dependency Package[apache2] for File[/etc/apache2/conf.d/puppetmasterd])
- The manifest is suggested as a reference for one’s own module, rather than necessary Passenger configuration
- “the boring stuff” is not specified in the document, even in outline form
- config.ru is referenced, but its source and destination locations aren’t
- Looking back at the page, it became more clear to me that there were additional instructions past what was declared as the “Installation instructions” for older versions, which needed to be adapted
- A config.ru file for 2.6.x isn’t declared on the wiki page along with the others
This part may be more of a ‘code’ issue, but the Puppet-included apache2.conf doesn’t have the “Suggested Tweaks” included at the bottom of the wiki page; if they are suggested, I would also expect them to be standard.
I think the instructions could be split into version-specific sections, so there are just distro-specific rather than version-specific settings. Overall, I would like to use either the README or the docs, but not a mix of both. For reference, the command set I used to configure an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system with an already-functioning Gem-installed 2.6.5 puppetmasterd and Apache setup:
sudo gem install rack sudo apt-get -y install libapache2-mod-passenger sudo cp /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/puppet-`puppet --version`/ext/rack/files/apache2.conf /etc/apache2/sites-available/puppet-passenger sudo sed -i "s/squigley.namespace.at/`hostname -f`/" puppet-passenger /etc/apache2/sites-available/puppet-passenger sudo mkdir -p /etc/puppet/rack/public sudo cp /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/puppet-`puppet --version`/ext/rack/files/config.ru /etc/puppet/rack sudo chown puppet /etc/puppet/rack/config.ru sudo a2enmod ssl passenger sudo a2ensite puppet-passenger sudo service apache2 restart