The Puppet Labs Issue Tracker has Moved: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com
This book will get you started and working quickly with Puppet 3. It provides readers with all the information that is needed, from start-up to complete confidence in its use. This book will explore and teach the core components of Puppet, and walk the reader through designing their own module for more complex configurations.
The book will enable readers to:
- Write a Puppet Policy to auto-configure each new client system in an easy to follow guide.
- Modify files for individual nodes with a single Puppet resource
- Write a customized module that encapsulates greater functionality yet simplifies and improves the Puppet Policy.
- Have full control on when or how often changes are applied
- Apply Hiera to transfer data from existing systems into Puppet Policy
- Deploy Puppet Server as a Ruby-on-Rails application to handle thousands of clients.
Instant Puppet 3 Starter is full of tips with clear step-by-step instructions and practical examples.
Pulling Strings with Puppet: Configuration Management Made Easy¶
Competent system administrators know their success hinges upon being able to perform often tedious tasks with rigor and punctuality. Such metrics are often achieved only by instituting a considerable degree of automation, something that has become even more crucial as IT environments continue to scale both in terms of size and complexity. One of the most powerful system administration tools to be released is Puppet, a solution capable of automating nearly every aspect of a system administrator’s job, from user management, to software installation, to even configuring server services such as FTP and LDAP.
Pulling Strings with Puppet: Configuration Management Made Easy is the first book to introduce the powerful Puppet system administration tool. Author James Turnbull will guide you through Puppet’s key features, showing you how to install and configure the software, create automated Puppet tasks, known as recipes, and even create reporting solutions and extend Puppet further to your own needs. A bonus chapter is included covering the Facter library, which makes it a breeze to automate the retrieval of server configuration details such as IP and MAC addresses.
What you’ll learn¶
- Properly install and configure Puppet in order to begin immediately maximizing its capabilities.
- Create reporting solutions to more easily monitor automated outcomes.
- Extend Puppet to perform tasks that are capable of suiting your organization’s specific needs.
- Use Facter to query server operating systems for key data such as IP addresses, server names, and MAC addresses.
Pro Linux System Administration¶
We can all be Linux experts, provided we invest the time in learning the craft of Linux administration. Pro Linux System Administration makes it easy for small to medium-sized businesses to enter the world of zero-cost software running on Linux and covers all the distros you might want to use, including Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian, and CentOS. Authors, and systems infrastructure experts James Turnbull, Peter Lieverdink, and Dennis Matotek take a layered, component-based approach to open source business systems, while training system administrators as the builders of business infrastructure.
If you want to implement a SOHO or SMB Linux infrastructure, Pro Linux System Administration clearly demonstrates everything you need. You’ll find this book also provides a solid framework to move forward and expand your business and associated IT capabilities, and you’ll benefit from the expertise and experienced guidance of the authors.
Chapter 19 covers provisioning, bootstrapping (Kickstart and Preseed) as well as introducing Puppet.