Porting Puppet and Facter to MSWin¶
This page is used as a whiteboard / shared note space by the developers working on porting Puppet and Facter to MS Windows.
Things You Should Not Do¶
- Use system calls
- Attempt to parse the output of system calls
Providers that need to be written.¶
- Registry provider
Parts of the Standard Library You Can Rely On For MS Windows¶
Parts of the Standard Library You Cannot Rely On For MS Windows¶
- Just about everything else
- etc – Only 1 method works on MS Windows
- pathname – Doesn’t handle UNC paths properly
- resolv – Not to be trusted; use win32-resolv instead
- open3 – Does not work with Ruby 1.8.x on MS Windows
How To Obtain System Information On MS Windows¶
- Virtually everything you could ever want to know about the system can be most easily obtained using the WMI interface.
- You can obtain information from WMI using the win32ole library.
How To Check For Windows¶
require 'rbconfig' Config::CONFIG['host_os'] =~ /mswin|win32|msdos|cygwin|mingw/i