The Puppet Labs Issue Tracker has Moved: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com
Upgrading from 2.0.2 to 2.5 and adding a node resulted in database problems.
|Target version:||Commercial edition - PE 2.5.2|
|Branch:||Affected PE version:||2.5.0|
Ticket tracking is now hosted in JIRA: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com
This issue is currently not available for export. If you are experiencing the issue described below, please file a new ticket in JIRA. Once a new ticket has been created, please add a link to it that points back to this Redmine ticket.
A PE 2.5 master with working nodes had a new node added. When the user went to the console, they saw a failed background task, which stated
Importing report report-29342-6.yaml at 2012-04-26 20:32 UTC Mysql::Error: Unknown column 'url' in 'field list': INSERT INTO `nodes` (`last_apply_report_id`,`last_inspect_report_id`, `reported_at`, `status`, `url`, `hidden`, `created_at`, `name`, `description`, `updated_at`) VALUES(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, 0, '2012-04-26 20:32:48', 'boxname', NULL, '2012-04-26 20:32:48')
The agent that was failing was PE 2.0.2. There was nothing in the yaml report concerning URLs, and the URL column was long ago dropped from Puppet. They completely uninstalled the node, and tried to install new nodes, only to encounter the same problem. We checked the migration version, it was 20120112195235. The import_rake task was also checked to see if perhaps somehow an old version was in use, and was the most current version. We checked to see if perhaps the console was separate from the master and older version; it was on the master and the latest version. In the end, a workaround of re-adding the URL column was used so that they could get work done, but the underlying problem has yet to be identified and resolved.
Summary: 1. Master was PE2.0.0, then upgraded to PE2.0.2.
Master has been upgraded to 2.5, existing nodes are PE2.0.2.
Master throws MySQL error on creating new node from reports from PE2.0.2 agents.
DB is at latest migration, import rake task was up-to-date (we compared MD5s).
Console is on master, and is the latest version.
Workaround: re-adding URL column allowed for the successful addition of new nodes.
It’s also worth noting that two people in IRC have appeared to have encountered this as well: