The Puppet Labs Issue Tracker has Moved: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com

Bug #3923

Activemq + puppetqd + mysql single ip in hosts table

Added by Joshua Baldock almost 4 years ago. Updated about 2 years ago.

Status:RejectedStart date:06/01/2010
Priority:HighDue date:
Assignee:-% Done:

0%

Category:queuing
Target version:-
Affected Puppet version:0.25.4 Branch:
Keywords:devtriage

We've Moved!

Ticket tracking is now hosted in JIRA: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com

This issue is currently not available for export. If you are experiencing the issue described below, please file a new ticket in JIRA. Once a new ticket has been created, please add a link to it that points back to this Redmine ticket.


Description

I have configured puppet-0.25.4 on RHEL5 with storeconfigs using mysql.

I recently setup storeconfigs with queuing using activemq and puppetqd. Since running queuing the hosts table in the mysql DB is updating every host record with the ip of the puppetmaster and not the hosts actual ip addresses.

Here is a snippet from puppet.conf puppetmaster [main] queue_type = stomp

queue_source = stomp://localhost:61613
dbadapter = mysql
dbname = puppet
dbuser = puppet
dbpassword = puppet
dbserver = localhost
dbsocket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

History

#1 Updated by James Turnbull almost 4 years ago

  • Category set to stored configuration
  • Status changed from Unreviewed to Investigating
  • Assignee set to Brice Figureau
  • Priority changed from Normal to High
  • Target version set to 49

Brice – any idea what’s happening here?

#2 Updated by Jason Koppe almost 4 years ago

I’ve got a very similar setup and the same thing is happening to the hosts table. In my setup, puppetmaster (puppet-0.25.5-1.el5), activemq-5.3.2 and mysql-5.0.67 are running on the same CentOS 5.2 server.

#3 Updated by James Turnbull almost 4 years ago

  • Category changed from stored configuration to queuing

#4 Updated by James Turnbull almost 4 years ago

  • Target version changed from 49 to 2.6.0

#5 Updated by James Turnbull almost 4 years ago

  • Assignee changed from Brice Figureau to Markus Roberts

#6 Updated by Markus Roberts almost 4 years ago

  • Target version changed from 2.6.0 to 49

#7 Updated by Markus Roberts over 3 years ago

  • Assignee deleted (Markus Roberts)
  • Target version changed from 49 to 52

#8 Updated by James Turnbull about 3 years ago

  • Target version deleted (52)

#9 Updated by Nigel Kersten over 2 years ago

Anyone have any idea whether this is still an actual problem?

#10 Updated by Nigel Kersten over 2 years ago

  • Keywords set to devtriage

#11 Updated by Daniel Pittman about 2 years ago

  • Status changed from Investigating to Rejected

Doesn’t seem reproducible, nobody claims to have the problem, and I know that I ran with a potentially triggering configuration for some time in production. Closing for now, but if anybody can step up with a reproduction of this we will absolutely reopen and fix this.

#12 Updated by Cory Stoker about 2 years ago

Hello:

I might be able to reproduce this bug. Currently I am trying to get queueing support to work with our puppet installation and it seems to be working except that the values in the hosts table are not correct for “ip” or “environment”. They seem to be replaced with the values for the system that runs puppetqd. Here is my setup:

OS: Scientific Linux 6.2
Ruby version: 1.8.7.352-4.el6_2 
Puppet version: 2.7.12-1.el6
Facter version: 1.6.6-1.el6
MySQL server version: 5.1.61-1.el6_2
Active_record gem version: 3.0.11
Stompserver gem version: 0.9.9  (also tried RabbitMQ server 2.8.1-1)

Puppet.conf configuration snippet for puppetmaster:

queue_type = stomp
queue_source = stomp://localhost:61613
dbadapter = mysql
dbuser = puppet
dbpassword = XXXXXX
dbserver = XXXXXXX
dbname = puppet_storeconfigs
dbconnections = 200
storeconfigs = true
async_storeconfigs = true
facts_terminus = inventory_active_record

Here is the results for my hosts table: mysql> select * from hosts;

| id | name                              | ip           | environment | last_compile        | last_freshcheck | last_report | updated_at              | source_file_id | created_at          |
+----+-----------------------------------+--------------+-------------+---------------------+-----------------+-------------+-----------  ----------+----------------+---------------------+
|  1 | 00-1a-4d-88-0c-36.ap001.nakika.tv | 10.138.83.25 | production  | 2012-04-03 23:21:02 | NULL            | NULL        | 2012-04-03 23:21:03 |           NULL | 2012-04-03 21:30:19 |
|  2 | 6c-62-6d-8d-8f-45.ap001.nakika.tv | 10.138.83.25 | production  | 2012-04-03 23:22:31 | NULL            | NULL        | 2012-04-03 23:22:32 |           NULL | 2012-04-03 21:34:11 |
|  3 | 6c-62-6d-7a-88-4d.ap001.nakika.tv | 10.138.83.25 | production  | 2012-04-03 23:21:36 | NULL            | NULL        | 2012-04-03 23:21:38 |           NULL | 2012-04-03 22:20:06 |
+----+-----------------------------------+--------------+-------------+---------------------+-----------------+-------------+----------- ----------+----------------+---------------------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

The IP and the environment listed are the Puppetmaster’s and not the actual hosts. Let me know if you need anything from me. I have verified that this does not happen unless I use async storeconfigs.

#13 Updated by Cory Stoker about 2 years ago

Whoops I wanted this to be in https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/12140.

Also available in: Atom PDF